Thursday 12 September 2013

The Invisible Mat.

I thought it'd be cool to do a retro surf mat design with a twist. I'm making it from "Optical clarity" clear vinyl but the first problem is that its almost invisible. I cut up all the pieces and then I couldnt find one of the I-beams for 15 minutes because its completely clear. So I'm going to do the deck and hull in clear but do the internal beams in coloured material. Heres a photo but there's not a lot to see....  photo image_zpsd50a2d49.jpg The cool part is that I will be able to see the water flow under the mat as I surf, paddling out I should be able to see under me like I was wearing a mask. I think there's a good idea in putting 'tell-tales' on the hull like they do on a sail to determine in which direction the flow is moving. . Im also testing all the intended materials to ensure theyre compatible with the glues.  photo image_zps9c6cee46.jpg

1 comment:

  1. ha !

    ....that's GREAT , mate !

    i want an invisible urfboard , and i could make 'glo' fins for it ...

    ReplyDelete