Sunday 8 September 2013

Back to the Future.....

Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards and so it is for design, there's always a new idea to follow of a new material to test but new things are best tested one step at a time. Originally the frames were made in epoxy with XPS and carbon fibre or 4/6/10 oz glass. But that build technique is slow and inexact due to the variations within the foam and glass. Better to find something already manufactured to a high standard that can be easily and affordably sourced. I thought I'd give ply a try with this mat. But plys not right. It has nice flex and will do the job but its heavy and sensitive to moisture. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos 5 pontoons, 4 I-beams, 2.5 inch thick, nothing tricky with the hull shape. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos What I need is a totally consistent product like a plastic, but even 3mm plastic gets heavy as you add it to the other components... Something plastic but mega light, some sort of engineering sheet that's internally stable. Something I can use for the frames as well as for internal hull springers, battens and my flexible I-beams (Tensairity) prototypes. Then I found architectural corflute. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Light, uniform, flexible, uv stable, recyclable. Time to test it for suitability.

2 comments:

  1. You might have to do something about your Photobucket account from the look of it as a few of the pics are not showing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin, Photobucket seems to display my pics and then cannibalise them. But not all of them...? Don't know why...

    ReplyDelete