Wednesday 11 September 2013

Materials Testing.

Now not everyone tests the components before they build something, but I like to test various materials and then base my designs on the characteristics of the materials. Id like to find out how strong the 6mm corflute is before I use it to make a frame, and its clear that one layer isn't going to be strong enough. By using 3 or more layers glued together it should have vastly increased strength, rigidity and flexibility but it will be interesting to see the difference between a single and three layers in a basic test. Single layer of 6 mm.  photo image_zps151054ef.jpg  photo image_zpsac3b9f50.jpg Snapped at 10.5 kg.  photo image_zps5dfeb4ca.jpg 3 layers glued with pu glue.  photo image_zpsd58d47c6.jpg 50 kgs and only bending slightly. I think 3 layers will be suitable for this application. I don't test every bolt and screw but I like to know that what I build is dependable and that it works.

4 comments:


  1. ...ah , so THAT is what the weights machine is for eh brett ?

    I WAS wondering , mate !!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A far more palatable use for barbell weights in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enough from you two jokers !
    Its amazing that if you glue 3 layers together its not 3 times more rigid but 5 or 6 times.
    The plan is to use this system as a frame for a clear vinyl mat I'm starting today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brett,
    Bg/sb here. Cool stuff.
    Maybe the glue adds a little strength too.

    ReplyDelete