Sunday 12 July 2015

The basics of mat making.

It's not rocket science.
Here's a really easy way to make a mat.
 You'll need a roll of vinyl or any sort of plasticised material, the essential thing is that the material you use is compatible with the glue you use.
This is the clear vinyl I bought, just google for it or keep your eyes open when you're driving around as there are lots of small places that sell or use vinyl.


It's clear weatherproof sheet. And the glue is a certain vinyl glue too. Made in the U.S. But once again Google for it.


And you'll need a cleaner to prep the material that you're glueing and that is easily available from any  hardware store.







And then just a roller to smooth the joins together.


And that's all the hardware you'll need. Sure you could buy or build a heat welding system but vinyl glues are used around the world for plumbing so it's tried and tested, the glue basically melts both surfaces and joins them together as one piece. Even thin joins are permanent and the material is going to fail before the join.
 Now all you have to do is come up with a design to build....



2 comments:

  1. This web site definitely has all the information and facts I wanted about this subject and didn't know who to ask.


    My web page; head gaskets repair cost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. While I'm not a maker, I am interested in the various experimental shapes you've come up with. On Swaylocks you mention a wide point behind center mat that works better ridden wide point forward for hollow waves. I'd be interested in this and willing to pay! I'm also interested in the idea of tapered I-beams because I think a rounder shape would provide more hold into a steep face.
    I tend to push the limits of my mat beyond what works. One problem is late drops and disconnecting from the face. This freefall represents a loss of speed in the direction I need to go, down the line. Another situation I put myself in is trying to stall into a barrel. I get weird front-of-shin cramps from pointing my swimfins downward trying to drag them. As an alternative I started sliding my body off the mat onto the face, and this works well when done just right.
    Anyway, I could go on about my ideas of mat riding, but I should get back to work. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete