Tuesday 7 July 2015

Chemical glue Vs Heat welding.

Two years later and I'm still making mats. I don't know how far the Invisible Mats have travelled but a few people have ridden them and not returned them so someone likes them.
I've always preferred glueing mats to heat welding, with the glues you can do any curves you like whereas the heat welding requires a metal frame so it's a bit limiting in design.
But I always wondered if glueing would last... Well wonder no longer !!

Glueing takes a bit of time, you have to prep the surfaces with a cleaner and then apply the glue and hold in place for a minute. But I wanted to see how long it would last so here's 7 different materials I glued onto a plastic sheet and have left outside nailed to a post for the past 2 and a half years.
Nothing's changed from the day I glued them on, the connection on each sample is completely secure and the only change would be that the excess glue has coloured a bit. That's a pretty solid result across a range of fabrics.

The next mat is going to be The Pestle. A little narrower in the front to reduce the buoyancy to help getting into waves and a curved outline in the back for a bit of wall grip when it gets steep.

And a few other changes outside the rectangle.

1 comment:

  1. Stoked to see you're back Brett. Look forward to reading more of the design-logs. Yew!

    ReplyDelete